Friday, May 28, 2021

Event-based Encounters for The Village of Hommlet

It's been many years since I last used the classic AD&D module T1 The Village of Hommlet as more than a stopover location. The last time I ran the complete module, I wanted to make sure the village part came alive, and gave the player-characters things to do. Below are my notes for that.


The idea for the first encounter comes from the module itself, when it mentions some ways to have the PCs show up in Hommlet poor; I simply combined the examples.

I did wind up using the event only hinted at here, of having Jaroo give the PCs some task to prove themselves to him. As I recall, they had to go pick wildberries for him and identify the right kinds, and they had the option of finding some magical berries too. I believe I did write some notes about that once, but I did not store them in the same folder.

The last idea is struck out because I thought too antagonistic an attitude towards the PCs from the local authorities would drive them away. I still kind of wish I'd used it, though.

 

No comments: