Sunday, November 7, 2021

Old Poems

More from old moldy school papers...apparently I was annoyed by the pretentiousness of the poetry I was studying, so I wrote these gag poems. Interestingly, I'm not sure if I had already read Kafka's Metamorphosis before writing the first poem. It's possible I wrote this after just hearing about it...

I. [untitled]

I awake and found myself a bug
Not an itty bitty bug with mandibles
Gnash, gnash, gnash,
But a big one.
Scuttle, scuttle, I crossed the room.
Grandma, she stepped on me.
"Land sakes, I die now, too,"
She said.
Then hocked a big goober
into Grandpa's old spittoon.
"Spit until you croak, old fat Granny,"
My spirit said as it ascended.
"I am better than you now."

II. Fire

Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow,
That's hot.

III. Reincarnate

Now I sit upon a shelf.
I hold water 'til I'm poured.
I'm a jug
jug
jug.

No comments: