Monday, September 10, 2007

Frequency of Gods Worshipped in South Province

[Originally posted to Greytalk listserv in July 2005]
A project I have decided to revisit of late is the Draken Pantheon concept that I last shared with Greytalk back in 1999. I would like to follow up my Ahlissa Gazeteer with an article on the Draken Pantheon. For those not familiar with the concept, it's a pantheon that would be widely and officially recognized throughout the "Draken" (my name) Peninsula, that area on which South Province/Ahlissa, Onnwal, and Idee/Naerie are found.

The trouble was, I had three different versions of how deities ranked in the hierarchy of this pantheon, and they were all based on pre-Living Greyhawk sources. Wanting to include as much outside (my own) work as possible, I compiled deities from all three of my major revisions, Morgan Rodwell's Ahlissa article, deity lists from the Living Onnwal and Naerie groups, and the just-provided list from the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer (my copy is in storage). These are the only sources I am aware of that have tried to list deities worshipped in the region in order of importance (if "Ivid the Undying" did it, I don't recall such a section). For each deity list, I took the number of deities on it and assigned each deity points equal to where they were on the list, with first ranking highest. Then I added points for each deity, giving each a relative "weight" in importance/priority. I did ignore where "agricultural deities" were lumped together, as well as ignoring demi-human pantheons altogether. Ties were resolved by taking deities I had ranked higher first.

As a side note, since Zilchus headed the list with 99 points, it occured to me that I could make each number a percentage and say that each percentage gave the amount of people on the peninsula who recognize (if not revere) that deity. I tried to think beyond that to how this could become a game mechanic for assigning deities to NPC clerics quickly that would be weighted for frequency of worship (low rolls would mean obscure deities, where a very high roll would almost surely mean Zilchus). However, median rolls would make for a wealth of Procan clerics, which certainly would not fit well with my campaign.

Without further ado, the list in descending order is as follows:
1. Zilchus = 99%
2. Hextor = 70%
3. Procan = 52%
4. Xerbo = 47%
5. Fharlanghn = 45%
6. Beory = 42%
7. Norebo = 40%
8. Pholtus = 38% (but how many are dedicated monotheists?)
9. Olidammara = 32%
10. Heironeous = 30%
11. Kurell = 26%
12. Osperm = 25%
13. Nurell = 23%
14. Kord = 22%
15. Celestian = 20%
16. Delleb = 20%
17. Jascar = 20%
18. Fortubo = 19%
19. Pelor = 18%
20. Trithereon = 17%
21. Atroa = 16%
22. Ralishaz = 16%
23. Mayaheine = 16%
24. Velnius = 15%
25. Alia = 13%
25. Wee Jas = 12%
26. Phaulkon = 12%
27. Daern = 11%
28. Erythnul = 10%
29. Boccob = 10%
30. Syrul = 9%
31. Ehlonna = 8%
32. Bralm = 8%
33. Telchur = 7%
34. Llerg = 7%
35. Pyremius = 6%
36. Asmodeus = 5%
37. Obad-Hai = 5%
38. Incabulous = 5%
39. Kelanen = 4%
40. Sotillion = 4%
41. Lydia = 3%
42. Wenta = 2%
43. Rudd = 2%
44. Geshtai = 1%
45. Tharizdun = 1%

No comments: